Sunday, January 14, 2007

Featured Element of the Week



Amy chose her library school based on three things: Ultimate, good music,
and good food.Lots of cities have the second two, but Amy's best friend
grew up in Shoreline and she suggested Amy apply to UW. So, she checked out
the Ultimate websites to see what was up. When I saw how high UW was on
the UPA standings, her application was ready to go. And, of course, it
cinched the deal when Element took 2nd at Nationals. Plus, Lina e-mailed
her back right away when Amy e-mailed from Iowa expressing interest.
"So, whether you wanted me or not, I'm here!" And she's loving it. As it turns
out, UW is the 4th best library and information science program in the
country (ahe also got into the top ranked, but for the reasons stated
above, it wasn't even an option :))





Like many previous E.O.T.Ws, Amy ran cross-country all four years of high school as her main sport. Also all four years, in the off-seasons, she was on the bowling team, did track (tried high jump, the 200m, triple jump, and the 400m before settling
down with the 800m), and swam (backstroke is her specialty, it seems
rather appropriate that she sucks at breast stroke **her words...he he he**). She also has been horseback riding for years. After one season of cross country
at college, she switched to her first ever team sport and she's never looked
back! "Hurrah ultimate, and sigh for my last year of college eligibility."




She was team captain for the Grinnell Sticky Tongues for a year and half
and helped build it from 7 dedicated girls and one librarian (her
inspiration, Jen Green) to probably a core of 15 girls with 20 coming out
for pick-up. The scene was way different than UW, though. :)



I asked Amy why she decided to be the world's youngest, hottest librarian. A major reason is that she didn't want to go to grad school for math or Russian (her double major at Grinnell). So, after working at library circ desks and various other brief library things for 3 years and her inspiration from the previously mentioned Jen, she decided that was the way for her. She started reading blogs like www.lipsticklibrarian.com andlibrarian.net and again, never looked back. The hardest thing for her is being so young. She's the only person in my program (in her year, '07) that she knows of to come to the School straight out of undergrad. It's kind of scary, and sometimes she worries that gray hair is contagious. So, Element is her keeping young. :) And hott, actually. Amy adds, "Feel free to ask me any questions about being a librarian! Or to ask me for help with your research. :)"

Amy's favorite off the field moment are car trips. Talking with Megan for the 5 hours non-stop to Eugene about everything and Niki's mom (Niki's Indian food
virginity!), riding with Hannah while Lina ate whole cucumbers and ate
half of Hannah's grilled cheese sandwich from In & Out, Kara (or was that
Lisa?) peeing outside of the van (IT WAS JENNY!! AUTHORS NOTE) Sarah's patience with her getting her (our captain!) to the fields late at OFUK and driving around looking for coffee (you can totally walk through those drive-in things).




When it comes to on field play, Amy had a few side-line d's by talking to the dump, which were hella sweet. She also loved being in the cup. This year at OFUK, pretty much every time Claire picked up the disc (and that one time Nora did) and she just ran it down.
:)
~best tournament memory (if it's different from above)

Her best tournament memory occured at Grinnell. They went to the Mardi
Gras tournament outside of New Orleans every year. She went for 2 of
those. She writes, "The last year we played our last game in ridiculous wind, fairly
cold weather, on fields that were used as corn fields (think lots of
ruts), against a Texas school (I can't remember which one). Both teams
agreed to take off articles of clothing for turn-overs or pretty much
anything we wanted (hot plays, for instance). Myself and the other
captain (Lexi Abel-Lina, you met her when you played with us, I think,
she's also a Seattle native) ended up pretty much naked...no, entirely
naked except for cleats. Yeah, we won. :)"

I asked Amy to tell us what is it like to be ENGAGED!!! and how She decided
to pop the question herself. In her own words:
It's pretty awesome. :) I think I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with Jason within 2 months of dating him. But I was 18 and we went through some crazy, not so good times, and I kind of forgot about that. Then I realized that 5 years was coming up and that he had supported me through so much stuff, including moving out here (although he was also down with the good food and good music). And he's
my real best friend and so much fun to hang out with, and that feeling that I wanted to spend my life with him never really went away, and was stronger than ever. So I decided, why shouldn't I ask him first? I get my mother's engagement ring, so I can get him a ring and screw tradition. I didn't want to wait for him to get the courage, anyway. :) Man, love rules. Too mushy?

And of course, the most important question was saved for last. I asked Amy what HER reasons were for deciding to sign on for another year of element,
despite the $$ and time commitment, excruciating workouts and
demands on top of her hectic class schedule!?

"How could I not???? What kind of a question is this? :) That's what credit cards are for, and the best way I know to get great thighs, buns, and abs. And I have a really personal reason for needing you guys that some of you already know and that will probably come out with lots of tears at one of our team meetings. Seriously, I need you ladies. You're amazing. Including all the newbies. :)"

Amy, we're glad you gave up your side carreer in super modeling to be our teammate. We love you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home